Design in Linux, was something that took a lot of time to build trust, among designers. But, as it is said, trees that are slow to grow bear the best fruit.
When I started as a designer, I was quite young, like about 8 or 9 years old. I used to make creative animals (that doesn’t look like real animals :p), made various sketches of the people I used to see in my dreams, used to do graffiti, which my mom doesn’t used to like much. When I grew up, one of my friend asked me – what makes you call yourself a designer . I told him, any person who can draw in any form, the things they can imagine – is a designer.
GIMP has made his place in the audience, next comes the vector tool Inkscape. Inkscape is evolving as a powerful graphic tool for vectors, it is very similar to Adobe illustrator or CorelDraw in Window. Here is a quick starting guide on it:-
Inkscape can be downloaded to any OS, from here. Lets start with a simple image that I have made as a wallpaper for my machine. A short and handy guide of tools can be seen here.
1. When inkscape gets started, you will have a screen like this.
Today we will concentrate some of the tools on the awesome tool panel present on the left.
2. Lets size the document to the size of wallpaper size – 1024px x 768px. For that go to File > Document Properties… or press SHIFT + CTRL + D. Enter the values, press ENTER and close the box.
3. Make a rectangle as big as a document, using rectangle tool. You can adjust size of the figure using tools in Tool controller bar.
4. Right click the figure and choose, FILL and STOKE, or press SHIFT + CTRL + F.
Under fill select LINEAR GRADIENT. Click on EDIT GRADIENT.
You could see a line with 2 dots, each representing one color each, click on the dot to change the color of gradient.
You can drag the dots to give various path to gradient.
5. Select the SELECTION tool and set the stoke color to none.
6. Lets make a triangle now.You can PRESS and HOLD DOWN CTRL key, to give your triangle an angle and symmetry.
7. Select the figure and press CTRL+D, to duplicate that(the duplicated figure will overlap the existing one only), or just simply COPY PASTE
8. Select the figure as shown, and go to OBJECT > FLIP-HORIZONTAL or press H
9. I will be using the following three colors. You can use any.
10. Select all and group them – CTRL + G
11. Make whatever pattern you want.
12. Lets do one more trick, I need to fill those spaces.
13. Make another rectangle as shown below, such that it covers exactly half of rectangle.
14. Select both the figures, and goto OBJECT > CLIP > SET
15. Now I can fill those spaces :p.
16. You can adjust the triangles in many ways, and can add pictures onto then by going to FILE > IMPORT…
17. Last and important thing, how to save it as a png file. There are 2 ways:-
FILE > SAVE AS… > select png from drop down, type in the name and click SAVE
FILE > EXPORT PNG image, select the file location and name, and click on EXPORT
The following is one of the example
You can work creativity on your designs. Let no tool be a barrier to your imagination. Come up with beautiful wallpapers and submit the designs for FEDORA 25 wallpapers. Your design might get lucky enough to be used by thousands of fedora users.
Hope this article helped you get started. It was a very basic one. For any sort of doubt, feel free to comment or contact. I will be posting follow up articles on Inkscape. Let your imagination go wild on mouse :p.